The Institute of Geophysics PAS (the highest evaluation category A+ received in 2017) is a scientific institution representing the mainstream of Polish basic research in Earth sciences. It is the only institution in Poland that performs monitoring of geophysical fields in seismology, geomagnetism, and selected areas of atmospheric physics. The main statutory tasks of the Institute include scientific research, development, monitoring and educational activities, as well as dissemination of the results of the research and their implementation in the economy.
The mission of the Institute of Geophysics is:
1) Studying geophysical processes for better understanding of the mechanisms controlling the Earth’s system and risk management
2) Working for the benefit of the society and economic development
3) Development and maintenance of strategic research infrastructure
4) Conducting geophysical monitoring
5) Training future leaders of the scientific community
An important objective of the activity of the Institute of Geophysics (IGF) is supporting people beginning their scientific careers and education and development of research workers and specialists with particular skills in the field of geophysical sciences, as well as to anticipate hazards, perform risk assessments and manage crisis situations.
The Institute also conducts extensive cooperation with universities, research institutes and scientific associations, particularly in the field of research and development works. IGF PAS also ensures the continuous development of international scientific cooperation through creation of research consortia and conduct of joint research projects with foreign partners with 116 agreements and MoUs with international partners in force.
IGF has been conducting intensive educational activities and is active in science communication and dissemination. The most important achievements in this field include:
• coordination of the national project EDUSCIENCE (2011-2015), in which 3,500+ schools in Poland participated. The final EDUSCIENCE products were: an innovative e-learning platform containing a database of over 15.000+ educational resources and tools for creating interactive materials, crosswords and mind maps, popular-science portal, methodological support for teachers, trips to institutes and scientific observatories, and nationwide nature monitoring program.
• coordination of the European project EDU-ARCTIC (H2020, 2016-2019), which is currently being implemented by teachers from 50 countries around the world, taking part in online lessons and arctic competitions and reporting meteorological and phenological observations in specially created monitoring system.
• coordination of the European ERIS program (ERASMUS +, 2015-2018), in which 30 educational packages based on real research results were prepared and disseminated in English and national languages (Polish, French, Romanian).
• cooperation with EUN as the National Contact Point Scientix 2 (FP7) and Scientix 3 (H2020).